- Garage Maintenance – there will always be holes big enough for mice to squeeze through but try to prevent rats, mice and squirrels by ensuring your garage doors close properly and that there are no holes in the roof or damaged roof panels. If there are any problems with the roof please get in touch as we can repair or replace it.
- Don’t feed them! In other words don’t leave bird seed or dry pet food in your garage unless it is kept in a sealed container.
- Garden Maintenance – cut back trees and bushes that hang over your garage. Although most pests will get into your garage without the help of a tree branch, you don’t need to make it easy for them.
- Peppermint – Mice, rats, squirrels and insects hate the smell of peppermint so it can be used as an environmentally friendly pest deterrent. You can buy peppermint oil and either soak it into cotton wool balls and leave them where you think the pests are getting into your garage or make a peppermint and water mixture and spray it along the edges of your garage and on the floor. This will have to be repeated as once the smell goes away the pests may return. You could also plant some peppermint plants near the entrance to your garage.
- Electronic pest control devices - Ultrasonic and electromagnetic devices can be plugged in to deter pests from your garage. These claim to deter rats, mice, beetles, ants, and various insects.
If prevention hasn’t worked and you need to get rid of a pest, here are some ideas for the most common pests in UK garages.
How to get rid of mice from your garage
How to get rid of rats from your garage
- Most people will call someone in to deal with rats. There are professional companies like Rentokil that will deal with this problem or often local councils will have a department that can be called.
- If you are keen to try it yourself you can buy special rat traps or use rat poison.
How to get rid of wasps from your garage
- Wear protective clothing and use a good quality insecticide that can be bought in your local DIY store. Full instructions will be on the container.
- Or contact a pest control company or your local council who have the specialist equipment to remove the nest without being stung.
How to get rid of ants from your garage
If you would prefer an environmentally friendly method then there are many solutions using things you will have at home. You could try some of the following:-
- Draw a line of chalk or pour a line of baking soda along their entry point.
- Spray a water and peppermint oil mix
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- Spray vinegar
How to get rid of squirrels from your garage
- There are many laws around the capturing and poisoning of squirrels, therefore you are best to call in the professionals if squirrel deterrent has not worked and you are faced with a squirrel taking up residence in your home or garage.
Professional Pest Controllers – Edinburgh