Step 1 – Garage Healthcheck
In the past couple of weeks we have had heavy showers. This is an ideal time to check your garage roof for leaks. A few drops getting through now could be an easy repair but after a week of heavy rain in the winter it could result in needing a whole new roof.
On a bright sunny day, it is a good idea to have a good look at the inside of your garage to check there are no signs of dampness or leaks.
Key signs of potential problems are:-
· Water gathering in pools on the roof
· A musty smell inside the garage
· Stain marks on the roof, walls or timbers inside the garage
· Wood darkening and becoming soft like a sponge
· Wet and crumbly plaster
· Puddles inside your garage
Don’t panic if you do see any of these signs, as you may just need better ventilation, your drains cleaned or a small repair. But please seek professional advice and get in touch using the contact details below.
Step 2 - Garage Security
· Does your garage door close properly?
· Is the lock sufficient or easy to break?
· Do you have a garage window? Can people look in to see what you have stored?
· Are valuable bikes locked inside your garage using a steel cable secured to the building?
Police Scotland provide great advice for your home security:-
Home Security Advice - https://www.facebook.com/PoliceScotland/posts/471429709606120
Protect your bicycle - https://www.scotland.police.uk/keep-safe/safety-advice/out-and-about/protect-your-bicycle/
Step 3 – New Garage
The Summer is a good time to lay the foundations for a new garage. For more information and links to lots of garage styles please have a look at my website.
If there is anything that looks worrying, please get in touch for advice and a no obligation quote, either by phone or email.